Tuesday, October 4, 2005

Final Preparations

We are hoping to have the final arrangements planned by tomorrow evening. Kevin's mom had open heart surgery 2 days after Jacob passed away, so we've been waiting for her to return home from the hospital before making any final plans. Kevin was also gone on the slope beginning last Friday & returned home this evening. Now that he is back & mom is doing well, we are hoping to schedule the helicopter ride for Sunday, October 9th, in the afternoon. Kevin's previous employer has agreed to take us to Mt Susitna, free of charge. I will post another message once it is all confirmed.

Kevin & I are doing fairly well, better then most might expect. There is something that many of you don't know (imagine that!), that has been in the works since June, and that is a fundraising event that is led by me called Crop for Cancer. Because of the amazing individuals that help me organize this event, I have been able to put it on my back burner, while they have picked up the slack. However, since Jake's passing, I have been involved full swing, making sure all I's are dotted & T's are crossed.

The event is this Saturday & we have sold over 160 tickets! Not only that, but so far we have also raised over $14,000 prior to the event even starting! I'm also excited to say that this year a Crop for Cancer is also being held in 3 other states; Hawaii, Texas, & Oklahoma and I have guided them with their events as well. If you are reading this & would like to participate, it's not too late!

In addition to the Crop for Cancer planning, I've been working with the NICU on developing a curriculum, based on the Journal the Journey project, that will be used to help other families cope with their NICU experience.

Stay tuned, as I hope to announce something that ties this all together in the next few days.

Many of you wonder how I can continue doing what I do & I have a few things to throw at you:
--Because my husband needs his wife back
--Because I still have a 2 1/2 year old that needs me & has suffered enough of Mommy & Daddy not being here the last 2 months. The last thing she needs is to see me in pieces. She needs to feel the security she felt before all of this happened. I am happy to say, that in just a matter of 3 days, her attitude was MUCH better!
--Because the world doesn't just stop because I need to mourn & cry my eyes out...time is still ticking & lives still need to be changed!
--Because of the Journal the Journey project that I'm implementing in the NICU
--Because of the final planning for Crop for Cancer that's THIS weekend, and I'm being depended on to pull it together
--Because the preparations for the final goodbye to Jake still need to be completed
--Because Jake would want me to take this tragedy & the emotions that I feel, & make something of it. He wouldn't want me to feel sorry for myself, but rather to continue to be a positive influence of those around me & those I've yet to come in contact with.
And through all this what has this sweet & handsome son of ours done? He's reminded the closest members of my family as well as the many that have been sent to this website, the true meaning & purpose of life.

We all have stories that need to be told & have a lasting impact on our lives. It doesn't matter to me if you do it fancy like I do with journaling, photos & pretty paper, typed on the computer, printed & stored in a notebook, write them on regular blank pieces of paper, or pay somebody to do it for you; the important thing is that you document it & store it somewhere safe.

Best of all, God has a plan for each & every one of us. A plan far bigger then we can see, hear or touch. Stretch yourself & be somebody you think you can't; be the wife, husband, sister, brother, mother, father, or friend that God has asked us to be & then wrap your arms around your family & tell them that they are most important in your life. There is no job or hobby as valuable as family.

Life is precious & not meant to be taken for granted. Every moment that we are here on this earth is a gift from God as well as another moment for us to share our lives with those around us & make the most of it. Another moment for us to tell them we love them and another moment for us to document our lives as only WE can, so that after we are gone, our stories & lives are remembered & a precious legacy is left behind to those we love, forever. Don't let time slip by you...
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Philippians 4:13

No comments: